The lamp burns from the lamp



Today Abbu let me read two incidents from two books.  The event is very beautiful.  One is the case of Hammad Ibn Abi Sulaiman.  Another is the case of Imam Abu Yusuf.  I like the incident very much.  Because there is so much to learn.  Let's hear two incidents.

Hammad Ibn Abi Sulaiman.  A shining star of history.  Reverend teacher of Imam Abu Hanifa.

He is a great scholar and jurist.  But he did not become such a great jurist.  For this he had to work hard.  He devoted himself to the service of Ustaz.  It took him a long way.

 His teacher Hazrat Ibrahim Nakhayi Rah.;  He used to serve this teacher wholeheartedly.  But his father didn't like it.

One day Ibrahim Nakhayi Rah.  Hammad sent Rah. to the bazaar with a bag and a dirham.  Accidentally met his father on the way.  Then father Abu Sulaiman became very angry.  Throwed the bag and scolded a lot.  But still Hammad persisted in accepting the service and companionship of his teacher.

Due to his sacrifice, after the death of Ibrahim Nakhaee, students seeking hadith and fiqh started flocking to his door.

One night, some Taliban attacked Abu Sulaiman's house.  Then Abu Sulaiman came out with a candle.  The incoming students said, We are looking for your son and not you.  Then he went to Hammad and said, Get up, go to them, surely the market bag has brought you to them.

A student of this Hammad was Imam Azam Abu Hanifa.  He also took the exclusive companionship of his teacher Hammad.  He used to serve his teacher wholeheartedly.  He tried to do good even in small matters.  Hammad's sister said, Noman (Abu Hanifa) used to lie at the door of our house all the time, wash our cotton, buy vegetables and do other things.

When someone came and asked Masala, he would answer yes, but would say, wait.  Then he would go inside and ask Hammad;  What he used to say, he would tell the person who came back.

The incident does not end here;  A private student of Abu Hanifa, Imam Abu Yusuf.  He is one of the three great Imams of the Hanafi Madhhab.  He was also a great scholar and jurist and was the chief qazi (judge) of the Muslim world at that time.

His father was very poor during his student life.  He had to eat very hard for the livelihood of the family.  So he could not make his son study.  He wanted the boy to earn.  But the boy, Abu Yusuf, is not a slave.  He himself said, "Even though I was very poor, I used to sit in the Majlis of Abu Hanifa."  I used to study Hadith and Fiqh.  One day I was sitting in Abu Hanifa's dars, suddenly my father came to pick me up.  I got up from Dars.  Father said, O son!  Don't you fall in the Majlis of Abu Hanifa, his bread is always ready and you are poor;  You have to keep earning.  Then I heeded my father's words and, despite my interest in reading and writing, left and went to work.

One day Abu Hanifa rah.  He sought me out in his majlis and asked my companions about me.  I continued to inquire about the majlis regularly from the companions.

After some time when I went to his majlis he said, where were you, why don't you come to majlis?  I spoke about my father's orders and my need for income.  He held out a bag and said, "Take this and fulfill your needs."  Then I opened it and saw that it contained one hundred dirhams.  Then he said that he will attend the Majlis every day and will inform when they run out.  Since then I used to stay in his majlis.


 After some time he gave another bag.  Thus he One day Abu Hanifa rah.  He sought me out in his majlis and asked my companions about me.  I continued to inquire about the majlis regularly from the companions.


 After some time when I went to his majlis he said, where were you, why don't you come to majlis?  I spoke about my father's orders and my need for income.  He held out a bag and said, "Take this and fulfill your needs."  Then I opened it and saw that it contained one hundred dirhams.  Then he said that he will attend the Majlis every day and will inform when they run out.  Since then I used to stay in his majlis.

After some time he gave another bag.  Thus he always looked after me.  I never told him about running out of coins.  Yet how could he have known.  Thus at one stage I became wealthy.

(Dr. Fiqh Ahlil Iraq wa Hadith Suhum, 47-48; Dated Baghdad 22/220)always looked after me.  I never told him about running out of coins.  Yet how could he have known.  Thus at one stage I became wealthy.


Dr. Fiqh Ahlil Iraq wa Hadith Suhum, 47-48; Dated Baghdad 22/220)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post